In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Dorie Clark. Dorie is a Duke & Columbia University Business Professor, ranked one of the top 50 business thinkers in the world by Thinkers 50. She’s also the author of Reinventing You and Stand Out.
We as humans too often push ourselves past our limit. We constantly feel rushed, overwhelmed, and perennially behind. Because of this, we keep our heads down, focused on the next thing, and the next, without a moment to breathe.
In this episode, Dorie Clark talks about concepts from her new book, The Long Game, where she dives into how to break out of this endless cycle and create the kind of interesting, meaningful lives we all seek. It’s about doing small things over time to achieve our goals—and being willing to keep at them, even when they seem pointless, boring, or hard. By doing this, we can tap into the power of small changes that, made today, will have an enormous and disproportionate impact on our future success.
Questions I ask Dorie Clark:
- [1:29] Do you think the world needs another get rich quick book?
- [1:50] Doesn’t the world just want quick fixes?
- [4:30] Is this meant to be a more personal book or is this how to build a business book?
- [5:39] Why is saying no so hard for people?
- [12:43] Saying no, giving yourself time to think is about setting boundaries – so how do you start establishing those boundaries?
- [15:25] What’s your approach to being able to identify what those ‘right’ goals are?
- [18:10] Can you unpack this idea of strategic leverage from your book?
- [21:02] How we can use independence, curiosity, and resilience to achieve entrepreneurial success?
- [23:13] What’s the best way for people to learn more about you and your work?
More About Dorie Clark:
More About The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND