In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Kenneth Wenger. He is an author, a research scholar at Toronto Metropolitan University, and CTO of Squint AI Inc. His research interests lie at the intersection of humans and machines, ensuring that we build a future based on the responsible use of technology.
His newest book, Is the Algorithm Plotting Against Us?: A Layperson’s Guide to the Concepts, Math, and Pitfalls of AI. Kenneth explains the complexity of AI, demonstrating its potential and exposing its shortfalls. He empowers readers to answer the question: What exactly is AI?
While significant progress has been made in AI, we are still at the early stages of it’s development. However, the current AI models are primarily performing simple statistical tasks rather than exhibiting deep intelligence.The future of AI lies in developing models that can understand context and differentiate between right and wrong answers.
Kenneth also emphasizes on the pitfalls of relying on AI, particularly in the lack of understanding behind the model’s decision-making process and the potential for biased outcomes. The trustworthiness and accountability of these machines are crucial to develop, especially in safety-critical domains where human lives could be at stake like in medicine or laws. Overall, while AI has made substantial strides, there is still a long way to go in unlocking its true potential and addressing the associated challenges.
Questions I ask Kenneth Wenger:
- [02:32] The title of your book is the algorithm plotting against this is a bit of a provocative question. So why ask this question?
- [03:45] Where do you think we really are in the continuum of the evolution of AI?
- [07:58] Do you see a day where AI machines will start asking questions back to people?
- [07:20] Can you name a particular instance in your career where you felt like “This is going to work, this is like what I should be doing”?
- [09:25] You have both layperson and math in the title of the book, could you give us sort of the layperson’s version of how it does that?
- [15:30] What are the real and obvious pitfalls of relying on AI?
- [19:49] As people start relying on these machines to make decisions that are supposed to be informed a lot of times, predictions could be wrong right?
More About Kenneth Wenger:
More About The Agency Certification Intensive Training:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.