In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Brooke Sellas. Brooke is the CEO & Founder of B Squared Media, an award-winning digital marketing agency focusing on social media management, advertising, and social-led customer care. She teaches a Digital Marketing course (virtually) at the University of California in Irvine. She’s also the author of a new book — Conversations That Connect: How to Connect, Converse, and Convert Through Social Media Listening and Social-Led Customer Care.
People aren’t starved for content on social media. They’re starved for connection. If you’re thinking about social media as the destination for your marketing campaigns, you’re already doing it wrong. In this episode, Brooke Sellas, Founder of B Squared Media and author, dives into why knowing how to listen, share feelings, and offer opinions is the key to effective social media management. Brooke shares her tips for having meaningful conversations that build relationships and connect with your audience on social media.
Questions I ask Brooke Sellas:
- [1:41] How do you define social listening?
- [2:36] What are some tools powered by machine learning and AI that are out there today to help with social listening?
- [4:01] What is social penetration theory and how should we be using it?
- [6:27] How do you balance that idea of being vulnerable and showing your core, but not sharing too much or sharing too soon?
- [7:44] How do you engrain this idea of conversations not campaigns into your social media team members?
- [9:46] What percentage of social media posts and content is total unmitigated crap?
- [10:52] Is there a place for some of what many people may consider cliche posts?
- [13:25] Would you agree that if you’re not getting some dissent, maybe you’re not pushing it enough?
- [14:28] Is there a place for opinions under your brand umbrella?
- [16:33] What should I be posting?
- [18:29] What is social-led customer care?
- [22:11] How could I use social to build more brand affinity so that when people walk into retailers they ask and look for my product?
- [23:41]how do we get our customers to produce some really authentic user-generated content for us?
- [26:14] Where can people learn more about your book and your work?
More About Brooke Sellas:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals seeking the best education and inspiration to grow a business.
Everybody’s online, but are they finding your website? Grab the online spotlight and your customers’ attention with Semrush. From Content and SEO to ads and social media, Semrush is your one-stop shop for online marketing. Build, manage, and measure campaigns —across all channels — faster and easier. Are you ready to take your business to the next level? Get seen. Get Semrush. Visit semrush.com/go to try it free for 7 days.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND