In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Steve McKee. He is the co-founder of McKee Wallwork, a nationally recognized marketing advisory firm that made the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America in its first year of eligibility and has twice won the prestigious Effie Award for marketing effectiveness from the American Marketing Association.
Steve’s new book TURNS: Where Business Is Won and Lost, takes a deep dive into the physical, historical, and metaphorical nature of turns and can help you make better decisions.
Every decision made in business is a turn that has the potential to impact the trajectory of the organization. Whether it is a big decision or a small one, it can change the direction of our business and is crucial to reflect on past turns/decisions and learn from them. Steve emphasizes that recognizing and embracing the turns is essential for success in business, and learning to navigate them can provide a competitive advantage. Finally, it’s important to be adaptable and learn from hindsight to make better decisions in the future.
Questions I ask Steve McKee:
- [01:36] What is a turn in business?
- [02:15] What’s a typical day of turns for an entrepreneur?
- [03:25] How do we recognize what things we should decide about?
- [04:27] How much is hindsight a role in analyzing?
- [05:39] How much does business mentality get in the way of intuition and in opportunities that arise?
- [11:35] How does the metaphor “but the fork in the road” for businesses, how does that play out as a turn?
- [12:58] You mentioned eight principles, give us a flavor for what they are, and most importantly, how we apply them.
- [17:07] What role does regret have in understanding turns?
- [19:41] What is the best turn you ever made?
More About Steve McKee:
More About The Agency Certification Intensive Training:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.