In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Alysia Silberg. She is a leading venture capitalist in Silicon Valley, where she mentors tech startups and helps them go public. She is the CEO & General Partner of the investment firm Street Global.
Her online radio show: Global Fireside Chats, brings together global industry titans to share insights on our fast-changing world. Furthermore, Alysia is a UN Women Empower Women Global Champion and an international board director with sovereign wealth fund experience.
Her first book, Unemployable: How I Hired Myself details her life story and guide to financial freedom. It’s a guide that helps to change your mindset from “I can’t” to “I can”.
Alysia changes the narrative of being “unemployable” and relates it to entrepreneurship and finding one’s superpower in business. Being unemployable is something to be proud of, as it often reflects the mindset and qualities of an entrepreneur, that can lead to innovation and generate changes. She emphasizes the importance of owning one’s uniqueness, taking risks, embracing curiosity, and seizing the opportunities presented by the digital revolution.
The current business environment, which Alysia describes as a “modern-day renaissance”, it’s a time for innovation and new opportunities. It’s important to leverage the power of AI and digital tools to start and grow a business and develop each person’s superpower.
Questions I ask Alysia Silberg:
- [01:52] Tell me a little bit about the artwork from the book cover.
- [03:07] Your book launch party was at a roller rink. How did that come about?
- [04:13] Why is the book called Unemployable?
- [07:20] Can you name a particular instance in your career where you felt like “This is going to work, this is like what I should be doing”?
- [08:58] You talk about superpowers and finding your superpower. Does your superpower have a name?
- [10:00] Back in South Africa you got shot, what did that story mean to your journey?
- [11:53] Is there anything about what’s going on right now in the current business environment that you think makes us a strong time?
- [15:25] What’s the first step you tell people to acquire the mindset you talk about?
- [18:23] What are your thoughts on the idea that there are proven business models and you don’t have to like to create a whole new thing from zero?
- [19:41] Based on where you see where we are today, what’s work going to look like in 10 years?
More About Alysia Silberg:
More About The Agency Certification Intensive Training:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.